Fairfax Lumber & Hardware is a local, employee-owned hardware and lumber store in Marin County. We are known for our commitment to providing excellent customer service, knowledge and educational resources on living a greener lifestyle and an incredible selection of hardware, home improvement, lumber and garden essentials
We are always looking for additional team members to join our team, who are passionate about home improvement, have excellent people skills, and can deliver the highest level of customer service to our audience and community.
Current Job Openings
Purpose of Position: To accept, check-in and distribute all Lumber, Building Materials, Nursery, and Yard departments’ merchandise, and fulfilling customers’ requests and necessary paperwork.
- Serve as a customer service representative to customers, answering questions and providing information about the company’s products;
- Prepare products for sale including cutting lumber, wire, etc. and load bulk materials as necessary.
- Load and unload delivery trucks, physically check-in merchandise.
- Monitor incoming TAS trucks and alert supervisors if hazardous materials are observed.
- Prepare sales check out tags for customers and direct them to lumber counter for final sale check out;
- Assist customers with product-loading into vehicles;
- Load and deliver products to customer locations;
- Occasionally perform basic maintenance of building, equipment, etc.
- Occasionally work as Gate Guard
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment free from debris and other hazards;
- Maintain a professional appearance.
- Perform all work in a safe manner and recognize and report any unsafe conditions in the workplace;
- Implement the company’s Injury Illness and Protection Program (IPPP).
- Performs other job related duties as required by the Yard Manager.
KNOWLEDGE AND MINIMUM SKILL REQUIREMENTS
A combination and/or equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge, skill, and ability in qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be:
- High School Degree or GED Equivalent
- One (1) year to two (2) years of working in construction, retail, lumber yard, or other related industry.
- Experience operating equipment such as loader, front loader, fork lift, saws;
- Any combination of education, training and experience demonstrating the ability to match the essential job duties of the position
- Possession of or ability to obtain a valid California driver’s license rated insurance by company’s insurance provider;
- Proof of valid automobile insurance
- Ensure all materials loaded on vehicles are matched with receipts and/or yard tags before customer leaves the yard.
- Verify quantity and lengths of all materials leaving the yards. This may require use of a measuring tape.
- Assure that the Yard gate is staffed at all times. If the Gate Guard needs a break, they must advise Yard Foreman or Assistant Yard Foreman before leaving the gate.
- Complete yard tags in a legible and complete manner.
- Be the overseer and guardian of the Yard gate.
- Work in a safety conscious manner at all times. Follow all safety regulations and security guidelines. Actively contribute to work safety and security.
- Maintain a safe, clean and pleasant work environment.
A combination and/or equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge, skill, and ability in qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills and abilities would be:
- High School Degree or GED Equivalent;
- Demonstrated knowledge of variety of building materials (preferred).
- Valid California Driver’s License.
- Ability to speak basic Spanish
- The ideal candidate loves to work with the public and offers excellent customer services.
- Has a can-do attitude and is a minimum age of 18.
- Ability to stand outside in a covered enclosure for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift, carry and maneuver goods that may weigh 50 pounds, utilizing additional personnel and mechanical assistance as required.
Applicants can apply In Person at our store, located at
109 Broadway, Fairfax, CA, or apply via email by submitting a PDF or Word Document of your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please!
Fairfax Lumber and Hardware is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to making employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want to have the best available person in every job. Company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or sexual orientation, including all classes protected by federal, state, or local laws. All such discrimination is unlawful and will not be tolerated.
Fairfax Lumber and Hardware
P.O. Box 249
Fairfax, CA 94978-0249
Monday – Friday: 7:30am – 6:00pm
Saturday – Sunday: 8:30am – 5:00pm
Nursery Hours: 8:30am-5:00pm
Lumber Yard: 8:30am-5:00pm