Fairfax Lumber & Hardware is a local, employee-owned hardware and lumber store in Marin County. We are known for our commitment to providing excellent customer service, knowledge and educational resources on living a greener lifestyle and an incredible selection of hardware, home improvement, lumber and garden essentials
We are always looking for additional team members to join our team, who are passionate about home improvement, have excellent people skills, and can deliver the highest level of customer service to our audience and community.
Current Job Openings
Purpose of Position: To accept, check-in and distribute all Lumber, Building Materials, Nursery, and Yard departments’ merchandise, and fulfilling customers’ requests and necessary paperwork.
- Serve as a customer service representative to customers, answering questions and providing information about company’s products;
- Prepare products for sale including cutting lumber, wire, etc. and load bulk materials as necessary.
- Load and unload delivery trucks, physically check-in merchandise.
- Monitor incoming TAS trucks and alert supervisors if hazardous materials are observed.
- Prepare sales check out tags for customers and direct them to lumber counter for final sale check out;
- Assist customers with product-loading into vehicles;
- Load and deliver products to customer locations;
- Occasionally perform basic maintenance of building, equipment, etc.
- Occasionally work as Gate Guard
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment free from debris and other hazards;
- Maintain a professional appearance.
- Perform all work in a safe manner and recognize and report any unsafe conditions in the work place;
- Implement the company’s Injury Illness and Protection Program (IPPP).
- Performs other job related duties as required by the Yard Manager.
KNOWLEDGE AND MINIMUM SKILL REQUIREMENTS
A combination and/or equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge, skill, and ability in qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be:
- High School Degree or GED Equivalent
- One (1) year to two (2) years of working in construction, retail, lumber yard, or other related industry.
- Experience operating equipment such as loader, front loader, fork lift, saws;
- Any combination of education, training and experience demonstrating the ability to match the essential job duties of the position
- Possession of or ability to obtain a valid California driver’s license rated insurance by company’s insurance provider;
- Proof of valid automobile insurance
Purpose of Position: To serve as a company ambassador, greeting customers, and thanking them after purchase is complete; process payments from customers and assist customers with their need in a professional and customer-friendly manner.
- Provide check out and cashier services to customers using company’s point of sale system;
- Assist with merchandising by creating bin tags for merchandise, stocking merchandise back stock, returning merchandise to the sales floor, keeping merchandise clean and dust free, and refilling cashier station supplies;
- Perform cash counting procedures to maintain accurate drawer counts;
- Manage incoming calls and customer service inquiries;
- Manage customer complaints provide appropriate solutions and alternatives within limits. Follow up to ensure resolution.
- Serve as an ambassador for the company, greeting customers coming in and leaving the store.
- Identify and assess customers’ needs to achieve satisfaction;
- Follow communication procedures, guidelines and policies.
- Make announcements and other requests on PA system;
- Maintain a clean, well-organized and safe work environment, free from debris and hazards;
- Maintain a professional appearance;
- Perform all work in a safe manner and report any unsafe conditions in the work place;
- Implement the company’s Injury Illness and Protection Program (IIPP);
- Perform other job related duties as required by Floor Manager.
KNOWLEDGE AND MINIMUM SKILL REQUIREMENTS FOR POSITION:
A combination and/or equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge, skill, and ability in qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills and abilities would be:
- High School Degree or GED Equivalent;
- Six (6) months to 1 (1) year of customer service, cashier or related experience in retail environment;
- Any combination of education, training, and experience demonstrating the ability to match the essential job duties of the position;
- Demonstrated skills in working with the public, using POS systems or like systems
- Read, write, and verbally communicate at a professional level in English;
- Perform multiple tasks in a timely manner in a fast-paced environment;
- Follow written and oral directions;
- Perform basic math skills on occasion when POS system is down;
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships;
- Manage difficult customer interactions professionally;
- Collaborative team work;
- Must be able to lift and carry 20 pounds frequently and occasionally with assistance lift and transfer up to 40 pounds of merchandise/products;
- Standing at a work station throughout the entire workday for up to 8-9 hours per day with limited movement from work area.
- Ability to speak basic Spanish
Applicants must apply IN PERSON at our store, located at
109 Broadway, Fairfax, CA.
No phone calls please!
Fairfax Lumber and Hardware is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to making employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want to have the best available person in every job. Company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or sexual orientation, including all classes protected by federal, state, or local laws. All such discrimination is unlawful and will not be tolerated.
Fairfax Lumber and Hardware
P.O. Box 249
Fairfax, CA 94978-0249
Monday – Friday: 7:30am – 6:00pm
Saturday – Sunday: 8:30am – 5:00pm
Winter Nursery Hours: 8:30am – 5:00pm